Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Modular Madness Process

For my cranes in flight modular madness piece, I was inspired by the 1000 paper cranes Japanese legend. So it was a little too expensive to buy that much origami paper I settled on one hundred paper cranes. Even though I may not get a wish I can live with a good grade.

I started off wanting to create a chandelier of paper cranes but as soon as I heard like 5 other people were doing something of that sort, I wanted to try something else. Bill brought up birds in flight and then I instanty wanted to do a migratory flight pattern of these birds.

Then came the ridiculously tidious job of learning how to fold a paper crane, and then to make 100 of them. This took hours upon hours, I even folded cranes while I was going into surgery. After completing these plus a bunch for friends, I had sewn a thread through all of their backs to later tie them individually to another long line of thread. Once they all had their threads, I ran the two super long lines down the hallway of my house and then placed them all evenly apart from each other before I tied them accordingly on their lines. Of course when I tied them my parents wanted them out of the way so they sloppily picked up the lines and all the birds bunched into the middle of the line. So I had to go back and respace them and add a small bead of hot glue to each of them so this catastrophy wouldn't occur again. Once they were dry, I packed them into boxes to ship them back to Huntsville. But once they reached the building, I had to find a different location then where I thought I was going to string them, there was no safe way up to the ceiling of the room... so up the death ladder I went! I had to deal with putting them up on a nail and attached to the railing, it was the only placement that made sense. Once I opened the boxes, the lines had became horribly tangled, so it took several hours longer to untangle them. With the master of untangling, Paige, this went much more smoothly, thank you darling! And viola they were attached and finished.

So this was my process with creating my modular madness piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment